My mom says that when she dropped me off at pre-school the first day I cried, and she just turned and walked away. Tough love, baby.
Not me. Lorelai did great her first three days of school, she loved it, sang happy songs about her teachers, and wanted to wear her uniform at all times, even church. But, the new wore off, the reality that there is an hour long nap each day set in, and this morning the tears started to flow when I turned to leave. She latched on, and cried. She was trying to be brave and hold it in, and that some how made it even sadder to me and more pitiful. So, I did the opposite of tough love, I sat right down next to her and my eyes welled with tears, I promised to stay until she was comfortable. I wasn't going to take her home, but if I had to stay all day at pre-school then so be it. Luckily though we brought CC along for the morning car ride and Lorelai understood when I said I needed to go because CC was waiting. But, I've NEVER seen her cry sad, scared tears before. Never. And y'all, it broke my heart.
Her teacher text after I left and said that Lorelai was having a blast, and I'm hoping I have enough time to swing by the house and pick up CC before I go to get Lorelai at school. CC's puppy kisses can always cheer up L, that dog has been such a blessing to us!!
Fall It List: The Rugby Polo
3 days ago

3 comments:
Did you tell her that she needs to get a hard heart?
I was just talking to mom about her "hard heart" conversation last week. Bahahahahaha!
It's gotta be tough to set there and watch your child be in fear. Our kids look to us for security and protection. Its a fine line between letting your kids grow up (tough love) and using an opportunity like this as a great teaching opportunity.
This is a great opportunity to teach our children that although I am not here with you...Jesus is. I can remember being dropped off and tuff doody if you cry. Or maybe even when I fell down and scraped my knees and mom or dad told me to toughen up and stop crying. Did this give me tough skin? Absolutely. Beyond that though...I can't really think of anything else. Instead of making me hard and in essence learning to "depend on myself", how much better to take the time to sit and love on your kid and explain to them that you're not alone...Jesus is here with you or it will be ok. This way we grow up knowing that we can't depend on ourselves because we can't accomplish anything without Jesus.
Post a Comment