Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mom

One more with a cool blurred background. This really worked out cool.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Caroline! Great pics!

You're totally right about the subject being further from the background to increase the shorten your depth of field (make the background blurry). I don't know what settings you're using, but try it in Manual. Reduce your aperture as low as it will go with whatever lens you're using, bump up your ISO to a higher setting (so you won't technically have to use a flash) and adjust your shutter speed accordingly (take tons of pics as you change that to see what works!)

My favorite lens that I use that always gives me the great blurry background is the 50mm f/1.8 lens. Only draw back is the fixed zoom, so you have to move in and out instead of the lens doing it for you. But amazing lens for the price!

Oh and if you need to use a flash, and this may sound weird, use a coffee filter to put in front of your built in flash. You still get the extra light, but not the harsh shadow behind your subject. It's a little tricky at first, but in a bind, it works wonders!

Again, I know I'm no expert but love to help fellow photo nuts if I can! Keep shooting!