Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Great Rabbit Debate of '10

I want to get a rabbit for Lorelai's Easter basket. Rusty won't let me get it unless I have a plan for it come Monday morning.

I want to just set it free in the back yard... I picture it as a beautiful release with the theme music from Free Willy playing in the background. Rusty says that is cruel, and the bunny won't make it until noon before something eats it as a lunchable.

And, neither of us want to keep it as a pet.

Rusty wants to eat it, and whereas I am a carnivore I just can't let him eat Lorelai's Easter bunny... there would be years of therapy necessary if she ever found out. Right? Because he's so set on this option that it's mulling around in my head as slight possibility, albeit a disturbing one.

There is only one white rabbit left at the feed supply store (but a few brown Cadbury Egg-styled ones left)... so time is running out to make the purchase if we're going to do this.

And, I really want to do this.

My reasoning is that this is probably the only year that she could enjoy getting a bunny, last year she would have lost interest too quickly or pulled it's ears. Next year she'll probably be too old to give it away come Monday morning... she'd want to keep it, and we REALLY don't want a pet rabbit.

So here we are.

The options are to find a home for the rabbit, so we can go buy it. Or, and this is the option I like best... find a friend with a rabbit (we think we may have tracked one down) and just borrow it until Monday. Here's hoping this works out!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it would be easier to borrow one from somebody. Then you don't have to worry about what you're going to do with the rabbit afterwards. Good luck!

E.C. said...

You could donate it to a local petting zoo. Ours has lots of bunnies...surely, you could find one around to take it in??? Or, do you know any elementary school teachers looking for a class pet?

Derek said...

Angie and I had this last weekend. It wasn't too bad but it might be a bit of a waste on a young rabbit.

http://www.huntingblades.com/eacrpotra.html

Why would Lorelai need years of therapy? People grow up on farms still today, all around the world, and eat the animals.

And if you're OK with letting it go, what's the difference? I don't see the difference between Bob eating it and you eating it.

Ballentine said...

Unfortunately I think our petting zoos are bunnied out... they're always selling them for super cheap.

True on the farm thing. It just seems a bit more personal to eat something you owned as a pet(even if it was brief ownership). I don't really like to put a face with my food.

*** For those that don't know, Bob is the wild bobcat that lives in the woods behind our house.